Armistice Centenary Working Group
Friday 14 July, 2017
Chaired by Air Chief Marshal Sir Angus Houston AK AFC (Retd), the newly formed Armistice Centenary Working Group (ACWG) is a Commonwealth, State, Territory, and Local Government working group, with representatives from other relevant stakeholders with a focus on the Centenary of the Armistice – 11 November 2018.
The ACWG will act as the main forum for dialogue between the Commonwealth Government and the state and territory government agencies responsible for commemorative activities and will include:
- providing a mechanism to disseminate information about initiatives leading up to the Centenary of Armistice
- development of strong links between state and territories regarding activities leading up to the Centenary of Armistice
- increase cooperation nationally in order to promote the Centenary of Armistice
- provide direction to the ACWG Communications Sub-Committee to allow for a comprehensive national communications strategy
The working group’s initial meeting was held in Canberra on 25 May 2017 when it discussed the prospect of conducting up to three national events that included:
- “Stop the Nation” at 11AM to observe one minute silence
- School choirs or community choirs to perform the same song following the rouse
- A “national concert”, comprised of state and territory performances, broadcast on television/radio/online/podcast and sharing a common moment at a predetermined point.
Strategic development of these proposals will begin at the group’s next meeting in September 2017.