Skip to main content

Freedom of Entry Parade in the City of Adelaide

Wednesday 29 July, 2015

Source: Adelaide City Council


20150724adf8581277_023.jpg

10th/27th Battalion, The Royal South Australia Regiment

To commemorate a century of service from World War I until the present day, the 10th/27th Battalion, The Royal South Australia Regiment, will exercise its Freedom of Entry to the City of Adelaide with a colourful parade on Saturday 8 August.

The tradition of Freedom of Entry to a city originates from a custom observed by British regiments in marching through the City of London. It was also practised in mediaeval Europe when walled cities would allow troops in to rest and replenish.

The granting of Freedom of Entry is a privilege extended only to a trusted military unit who has a close association with a particular city. Once granted, the unit then has the right to enter the city. It is still considered a great honour for soldiers and officers alike.

City of Adelaide Lord Mayor Martin Haese said that the parade would follow the historic traditions.

“The parade will be quite a spectacle steeped in tradition that is rarely seen. It will be followed by a ceremony to authorise the soldiers’ freedom of entry.

“This event not only honours the soldiers of the 10th and 27th Battalions who went off to World War I, but also continues the commemorations of the centenary of the Anzacs.

“I encourage the community to come out and cheer on the Battalion as they march through the city to claim their Freedom of Entry.”

The Commanding Officer of the 10th/27th Battalion, The Royal South Australia Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Graham Goodwin, said the parade will commemorate a century of service by following in the footsteps of those who have previously marched through the streets of Adelaide on their way to war.

“The 10th/27th Battalion, The Royal South Australia Regiment, traces its lineage to the 10th and 27th Battalions that were both raised in South Australia during World War I,” said Lieutenant Colonel Graham Goodwin.

“The parade is an opportunity to commemorate the Battle of Lone Pine that took place from 6-9 August 1915 on the Gallipoli peninsula.”

“It is a great honour for the Battalion to exercise its freedom to the City of Adelaide as South Australia continues to commemorate the Centenary of Anzac.”

The march will start at 3pm, leaving from Northern end of Victoria Square/Tarntanyangga, going past Town Hall and turning up Pirie Street and disbanding at the Pedestrian crossing outside Council’s Customer Centre. This will be followed by a ceremony out the front of Town Hall


WordPress Lightbox Plugin