Australians Commemorate Anzac Day
Wednesday 26 April, 2017
Source: The Hon Dan Tehan MP, Minister for Veterans' Affairs, Minister for Defence Personnel, Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for Cyber Security, Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Centenary of ANZAC
Australians have honoured the sacrifice of our service men and women at hundreds of Anzac Day ceremonies today throughout the country and around the world.
Speaking at the Dawn Service at Villers-Bretonneux in France, Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Dan Tehan said Anzac Day was a chance for all Australians to reflect on the service and sacrifice of every man and woman who has served in defence of our nation.
“For Australian soldiers, the third year of the Great War was the worst they ever experienced,” Mr Tehan said.
“More troops died in battle in 1917 and more were taken prisoner than in any other year. There has never been a year when Australia lost more to war than 1917. And yet they fought on, men asked to take on an extraordinary task.
“And in this darkest year, they did their duty and fought to the bitter end. This is the legacy of 1917 bestowed by those who gave their all. It is a legacy that continues wherever Australian service men and women are deployed.
“In 1917, those who served did not do so for themselves but for us. For a world where a bitter end may mean something greater, something better.
“That our something better was born out of the sacrifice on the Western Front a hundred years ago is something our nation cannot forget.”
If you know of someone who may be finding it difficult at this time of year, please let them know the Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service provides free and confidential counselling 24/7 on 1800 011 046.
Lest We Forget.
Estimated attendance at Anzac Day overseas commemorative Dawn Services:
- 1008 Anzac Day Dawn Service, Gallipoli, Turkey
- 706 Australian Memorial Service, Lone Pine, Gallipoli, Turkey
- 2130 Anzac Day Dawn Service, Villers-Bretonneux, France
- 1017 Anzac Day Services, Belgium
- 750 Anzac Day Service, Kanchanaburi, Thailand
- 250 Anzac Day Service, Sandakan, Malaysia
- 400 Anzac Day Service, Isurava, Papua New Guinea
- 5400 Anzac Day Dawn Service, Port Moresby (Bomana) War Cemetery, Papua New Guinea
- 938* The Centenary of the Battle of Bullecourt, France (*the commemorative service will be held at 11pm EAST – the provided number of attendees is an estimate only based on the number of registrations)