Statewide Veterans’ Health Advocate
Thursday 7 December, 2017
The Southern Adelaide Local Health Network (SALHN) is very pleased to announce that Darren Renshaw, Veteran Liaison Officer at the Repatriation General Hospital, has been appointed to the role of Statewide Veterans’ Health Advocate, based at The Jamie Larcombe Centre – the new veterans’ mental health precinct at the Glenside Campus.
Darren has long-played a crucial role in assisting and supporting veterans at the ‘Repat’. Over his 30 years in the Veteran Liaison role, he has overseen the coordination of veterans’ stays in the hospital, provided advice to veterans and their dependants as well as building and maintaining close relationships with ex-service organisations.
The new Statewide Veterans’ Health Advocate position has been developed in response to the creation of the new Jamie Larcombe Centre.
The Statewide Veterans’ Health Advocate position will:
- Provide a single point of contact for veterans in South Australia;
- Assist in the discharge planning for veterans;
- Assist in navigating the health system and accessing appropriate services where eligible;
- Seek veteran input and engagement in SA Health strategy and policy development and service planning;
- Partner with ex-service organisations and the veteran community to provide links to these services for veterans;
- Receive, investigate and respond to feedback, including complaints, from veterans to maintain and improve services; and,
- Develop communications programs that provide relevant information to veterans.
The position will also work closely with the Veterans’ Health Advisory Council and will refer issues to them for advice.
Darren credits his dedication and passion for service to the example set by the generations of veterans he has encountered at the Repat. He looks forward to applying the experience and insights he has gained to veterans across the wider health system.
Darren can be contacted by telephone (08) 7087 1387 or 0435 651 290.