Friday 13 September, 2019
An antioxidant is any compound which protects against damage caused by free radicals. A diet high in antioxidants can reduce risk of developing diseases such as heart disease, cancer, eye disease, type-2 diabetes and neurodegenerative diseases.
Antioxidants are abundant in a number of whole foods, below is a list of common antioxidants and where to find them. Try to include several different antioxidants at each meal!
- Vitamin A: liver, mackerel, cheese, eggs
- Vitamin C: blackcurrant, broccoli, oranges, capsicum
- Vitamin E: nuts and seeds particularly almonds and sunflower seeds, vegetable oils
- Selenium: eggs, beans, legumes, seafood, lean meats
- Copper: seafood, nuts and seeds, liver
- Manganese: nuts including almonds and pecans, oats, brown rice
- Zinc: seafood, meat, seeds, beans, legumes
- Lycopene: tomato, capsicum, guava, watermelon
- Lutein: spinach, kale, squash, peas, corn
- Beta-carotene: sweet potato, spinach, rockmelon, apricots
- Allium sulphur compounds: onions, garlic, leek, shallots
- Catechins: tea, cocoa, berries, apples, red wine
- Anthocyanins: berries, red cabbage, radish, purple sweet potato
- Flavonoids: citrus fruit, tea, berries, legumes
- Isoflavonoids: legumes, chickpeas, nuts, tofu
- Indoles: broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel’s sprouts, cabbage
- Lignans: seeds, oats, wheat, beans
- Polyphenols: herbs including oregano, basil, parsley, spices such as ginger, cumin, cinnamon
- Bromelain: pineapples, papaya, kiwifruit
Get in touch to learn more about antioxidants, disease prevention or any other nutrition related information.
Fuel Your Life is a nation-wide Dietetic company focusing on Veteran health and nutrition. We have specific Veteran nutrition programs which are bulk-billed for Gold and White card holders and offer in clinic or home visits. Areas we can assist with include weight management, type-2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure or cholesterol, irritable bowel syndrome and irritable bowel disease, sports nutrition, mental health and pain management.
Danielle Rodger, Accredited Practicing Dietitian, Business Development Officer, Area Manager (Adelaide) Fuel Your Life
Ph: 0490 542 715 Email: email@example.com