Wednesday, 6th April 2022
From the Chair
The VAC held its 79th meeting on 31st March 2022 as a hybrid meeting. The Hon Geoff Brock MP, Minister for Veterans Affairs (South Australia) attended for the initial part of the meeting.
Department for Correctional Services Veterans’ Update
The VAC was provided with an update from the Department for Correctional Services (DCS) and discussed issues relating to the ‘first interface’ between veterans and the judicial system. The VAC heard presentations and noted the nation leading work of VAC member, Mr Chris Tilley in this area. The VAC resolved to form a Working Group to further investigate support and educational opportunities, monitor progress on the DCS Veteran Strategy and Pilot program
Thailand paver proposal
Following a request from government, the VAC was asked to give consideration to the ‘Thailand paver’ proposal.
Noting the representations from and support from within the veteran community, the VAC gave particular consideration to the following matters:
• The importance of recognising the service and sacrifice of South Australians in war and conflict,
• The intent, design and consultation process undertaken during development of the Anzac Centenary Walk,
• Precedents and authorising frameworks for alterations/additions to the Memorial,
• Existing state and national memorials to South Australian Prisoners of War, and
• Opportunities to redress discrepancies and omissions in recognition of service and sacrifice of South Australians.
The VAC has passed its considerations, along with representations received, to the Hon Geoff Brock MP, Minister for Veterans Affairs (South Australia).
VAC meeting 19 May 2022
The next meeting of the VAC is scheduled for 19 May 2022.
To contact the VAC directly regarding South Australian based veteran issues please email firstname.lastname@example.org or via post: Veterans SA, Level 4, 151 Pirie Street, Adelaide SA 5000