The VAC held its 85th meeting on 4 May 2023, chaired by COL Rob Manton.
Key items of discussion included:
The VAC received a briefing from the Veterans and Families Policy Officer, Veterans SA, Mr Eric Parnis on ‘Census Data on South Australia’s Veteran Population’ based on the 2021 Australian Bureau of Statistics Census.
The presentation included a detailed analysis of South Australia’s veteran population by age, gender, local government area location and labour force status.
DVA Legislation Reform Consultation
The VAC received a presentation on the current status of the DVA Legislation Reform Consultation and were advised that submissions to the consultation were due on 12 May 2023.
Proposal to Establish South Australian Contemporary Veterans’ Forum
The VAC discussed a proposal to establish a Contemporary Veterans’ Forum in South Australia and agreed to establish a sub-committee to develop the Terms of Reference.
Veterans SA Update
The VAC received an update from Veterans SA Strategic Communications Officer, Ms Bec Van Reesema, on the current priorities of the agency, including:
- Co-work Co-play program pilot for partners of ADF members completed at the end of March
- Mentoring program – call for applications closing on 11 May 2023 with program to commence on 20 June 2023.
- Outreach and engagement in 2023 – Veterans SA presence at Barossa Air Show, and site sharing arrangement planned for Riverland Field Days
- Education Identifier Tick Box approval by Minister Brock and Minister Boyer to commence in Term 1 2024
The VAC remains seized of the following matters:
- The state government’s review of concessions for South Australians,
- The consultation process regarding veterans’ legislation
- The proposed Northern Adelaide Wellbeing Centre and
- The Royal Commission into Defence and Veterans’ Suicide – Hearing Block 10 commencing in Adelaide on 17 July 2023.
VAC meeting 4 May 2023
The next meeting of the VAC is scheduled for 6 July 2023
To contact the VAC directly regarding South Australian based veteran issues please email firstname.lastname@example.org or via post:
151 Pirie Street
Adelaide SA 5000