Wednesday, 14th December 2022
The VAC held its 83rd meeting on 24 November 2022, chaired by Mr John Godwin.
Key items of discussion included:
Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide
The VAC received an update on the progress of the Royal Commission and noted that the Adelaide hearing block had been rescheduled from February 2023 to later in the year.
Members discussed the previous submission of the VAC to the Royal Commission and the Notice to Give which were included in the meeting papers.
The VAC received a briefing on the VAC sub-committee on homelessness which included
- The agreed definition of homelessness
- The outcomes from the sub-committee meetings
- The VAC’s role in raising awareness and providing advice to relevant supporting agencies
- The lack of affordable housing in South Australia
- The Community Housing Toolkit paper and the recommendations contained in the Preliminary Report of the Interim National Commissioner for Defence and Veteran Suicide, Dr Bernadette Boss CSC
- Agreed recommendations to the Minister highlighting the relationship between homeless veterans and the Royal Commission into Defence & Veteran Suicide.
Anzac Day Commemoration Fund
The Chair gave an update on the current status of the Anzac Day Commemoration Fund. The Grants sub-committee had met to assess the applications and had approved all applications to be funded in part or in full. The final summary of successful applications to be submitted to the Minister for approval.
The VAC endorsed the allocation of all remaining funds to a second round of the Anzac Day Commemoration Fund to be opened in early 2023 with funds to be distributed by 30 June 2023.
Veterans SA Update
The VAC received an update from Veterans SA Director, Ms Chantelle Bohan, on the current priorities of the agency, including:
- Veterans SA Strategic Outlook
- Launch of the HomeBase SA website
- Veteran Partner Carer Forum
- Education Tick Box
- Minister to announce VAC Membership for 2023
- Engagement with Veterans’ Health Advisory Council re posting issues
- Visit to Camp Andrew Russell
The next meeting of the VAC is scheduled for 23 February 2023
To contact the VAC directly regarding South Australian based veteran issues please email firstname.lastname@example.org or via post:
151 Pirie Street
Adelaide SA 5000