Thursday, 5th October 2023
The VAC held its 87th meeting on 14 September 2023, chaired by COL Rob Manton.
Key items of discussion included:
Senior Veterans – Maria Barclay
The VAC received a briefing from Ms Maria Barclay in relation to senior veterans with Gold and White treatment cards. Ms Barclay outlined issues faced by senior veterans entering into Home Care Packages with My Aged Care resulting in Gold and White treatment cards no longer being recognised and their care and compensation no longer being managed by DVA.
Breaker Morant – Recognition
The VAC considered a brief from a relative of Lt Harry Breaker Morant regarding a submission to the Adelaide City Council for the inclusion of his name on the Boer War Memorial on North Terrace.
Merchant Navy Association – Flag on Diver Derrick Bridge Port Adelaide
The VAC considered a request from the Merchant Navy Association requesting support for the flying of the Red Ensign on the Diver Derrick Bridge in Port Adelaide.
Commonwealth Government Grant Eligibility Criteria
The VAC agreed to seek a broadening of the Australian Government grants eligibility criteria to allow applications from veteran support organisation that are not ESOs.
Defence and Veterans’ Family Day
The VAC received an update on community consultation in relation to the creation of a Defence and Veterans’ Family Day in South Australia.
Legacy – Future Look into Family Needs
The VAC received a briefing from the CEO, Legacy Club of South Australia and Broken Hill on plans to consult with serving and ex-serving ADF personnel and their families to determine the future needs of potential beneficiaries.
Veterans SA Update
The VAC received an update from Veterans SA Director, Ms Chantelle Bohan, on the current priorities of the agency, including:
- Mentoring program
- Concessions Working Group
- Outreach – Gawler Show, Transition Seminar, JTA Forum and Riverland Field Days
- SA Veteran Community Connection Event – held on 22 August 2023
- SA Veteran Employer Network
- Professional licencing/registration for ADF partners
- Proposed establishment of scholarship fund for training/education in areas of skills shortages
- Veteran Ministers’ Council Meeting – 6 October 2023
The VAC remains seized of the following matters:
- The state government’s review of concessions for South Australians,
- The consultation process regarding veterans’ legislation
- The proposed Northern Adelaide Wellbeing Centre and
- The Royal Commission into Defence and Veterans’ Suicide
The next meeting of the VAC is scheduled for 23 November 2023
To contact the VAC directly regarding South Australian based veteran issues please email firstname.lastname@example.org or via post:
151 Pirie Street
Adelaide SA 5000