Before you jump in and start applying for jobs, there are a few steps to consider that will ensure that you are putting forward the best representation of yourself and your skills to potential employers. Veterans SA is committed to connecting veterans with organisations that can assist with job hunting, resumes, applications and interview tips.
Build your profile:
Before you start searching for employment opportunities in your chosen field or industry, it’s important to start building your profile both in-person and online.
A great place to start is to attend a StoryRight workshop. StoryRight provides training to veterans in communication and presentation skills, to help them transition successfully from military service to civilian life. At a StoryRight workshop, attendees will learn how to translate their military skills in to abilities that are attractive to civilian employers. You will also be given the tools to compose a professional resume as well as learn about online tools that can help you build your professional profile (for example, LinkedIn). It’s important to make sure your previous military positions showcase your achievements and don’t just list your duties.
This is also the time to get in touch with people who you can list as your references. These people will be contacted by recruiters and will be asked questions about your skills and employment history. Most jobs will require applicants to provide at least two referees and ideally these people will be people you reported to in your most recent positions. Always ask permission before including anyone as your referee.
Start your search:
There are a number of resources currently available to ex-service personnel to assist in applying for employment opportunities. There is also an increasing number of employers who recognise the skills and attributes that Veterans can bring to their organisation and are able to support Veterans moving from military service to civilian life.
The following job search tools will be beneficial to ex- ADF members looking for employers who are keen to employ veterans:
- SA Veterans Employment Program – employment opportunities in the Defence Sector. Be sure to register for updates so that you are alerted to new jobs as they are posted.
- I Work for SA – the Government of South Australia values the skills and experience you have gained in the ADF. This website lists public sector job opportunities available.
- APS Jobs – discover the many career paths the Australian Public Service has to offer by linking you to vacancies available in the APS, the Parliamentary Service and many other Australian Government agencies.
- Jora – enables you to identify job vacancies that have been flagged as having ‘Defence experience desirable’.
- Job Active – this government job website connects employers and job seekers and allows seekers to search for vacancies that have been flagged as having ‘Defence experience desirable’.
More mainstream job search tools include:
Employment expos and networking events are another great way to meet with potential employers who are keen to employ veterans. Check out our Upcoming Events listing or contact us to find out when the next events will be taking place.